Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hourglass Film Noir mascara

Last November, I was thrilled to stumble upon Hourglass Film Noir mascara at Costco for $13 (normally $28 retail). I purchased a tube, and by about a month later, had decided I loved it so much I wanted backups. I went back to Costco, but they were all gone, and I haven't seen them there since then. Bummer. I guess from now on if I want to buy it I'll have to pay full price, or perhaps 15-20% off during the sales Sephora runs once or twice a year. This is what the tube and brush look like:


I love this mascara for the following reasons:

- It volumizes wonderfully without clumping
- It gives me quite a bit of added length too if I want to build it up with 2-3 coats, but even just one coat provides a look sufficient for "everyday" makeup
- It is a deep black color that really stands out on my eyes
- It holds up well against my ultra-watery right eye but is still easy to remove with eye makeup remover
- It gives me a decent amount of lift on its own, so I often feel when using it that curling my eyelashes too would be unnecessary, even excessive (but keep in mind I am not someone whose lashes normally turn downward, either)
- It doesn't flake or smudge
- I find the brush easy to work with (not too small, too big, or too spiky)

Yeah, that's it... I can't think of any reasons not to like it, except maybe the high retail price point, but $28 is pretty standard for higher-end brands. Here it is on me, with just a bit of tightlining on my upper lash line and a shimmery nude eyeshadow but no other eye makeup:


You can also see this mascara on me in at least ten other looks I've posted already on the blog and on Makeup Alley, but here are some of the ones where you can see the mascara best: here, here, here, here, here, and here.

I used the heck out of that tube for three full months and then, sadly, retired it and moved onto another mascara. (Yes, if you've been paying attention, you're right; it's taken me two months since then to get around to writing this post!) If I didn't already have about ten different unopened mascaras in my "backup makeup" drawer - mostly samples, but some full sizes too - I'd have run right out and repurchased Film Noir at that three-month mark, even at the $28 price point, because I love it so much. However, I just can't justify buying mascara to myself right now when I have so many to get through. Even the sample tubes usually last me a month or two, and given that I have multiples of some of the samples and full size tubes, I think I already have enough unopened mascaras to last me two years!

In short, I recommend Hourglass Film Noir mascara to others without hesitation, and the odds are excellent that I will repurchase it at some point as long as it doesn't get discontinued!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina!
    I have very different lashes than yours (very fine, sparse and straight), but also am loving my new Flim Noir mascara. It gives an excellent deep black color, with volume and definition. Despite not being WP, it works spectacularly well as not smearing or drooping a curl. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my experience with it exactly. It's rare to find a non-waterproof mascara that provides as much lift/holds curl as well as this one does and yet isn't impossible to remove (Benefit They're Real, I'm looking at you)!

      Delete

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!