I love this mascara for the following reasons:
- It volumizes wonderfully without clumping
- It gives me quite a bit of added length too if I want to build it up with 2-3 coats, but even just one coat provides a look sufficient for "everyday" makeup
- It is a deep black color that really stands out on my eyes
- It holds up well against my ultra-watery right eye but is still easy to remove with eye makeup remover
- It gives me a decent amount of lift on its own, so I often feel when using it that curling my eyelashes too would be unnecessary, even excessive (but keep in mind I am not someone whose lashes normally turn downward, either)
- It doesn't flake or smudge
- I find the brush easy to work with (not too small, too big, or too spiky)
Yeah, that's it... I can't think of any reasons not to like it, except maybe the high retail price point, but $28 is pretty standard for higher-end brands. Here it is on me, with just a bit of tightlining on my upper lash line and a shimmery nude eyeshadow but no other eye makeup:
You can also see this mascara on me in at least ten other looks I've posted already on the blog and on Makeup Alley, but here are some of the ones where you can see the mascara best: here, here, here, here, here, and here.
I used the heck out of that tube for three full months and then, sadly, retired it and moved onto another mascara. (Yes, if you've been paying attention, you're right; it's taken me two months since then to get around to writing this post!) If I didn't already have about ten different unopened mascaras in my "backup makeup" drawer - mostly samples, but some full sizes too - I'd have run right out and repurchased Film Noir at that three-month mark, even at the $28 price point, because I love it so much. However, I just can't justify buying mascara to myself right now when I have so many to get through. Even the sample tubes usually last me a month or two, and given that I have multiples of some of the samples and full size tubes, I think I already have enough unopened mascaras to last me two years!
In short, I recommend Hourglass Film Noir mascara to others without hesitation, and the odds are excellent that I will repurchase it at some point as long as it doesn't get discontinued!