Friday, September 14, 2012

CoverGirl Queen Vivid Impact Eyeliner Swatches, Comparisons, and Review

On general principle, I try to avoid Wal-Mart. However, a few weeks ago, Boyfriend and I had to make a pit stop on a road trip and the least threatening place to stop at in the middle of nowhere was a Wal-Mart, so in we went. Of COURSE I had to at least peek at the beauty section, and when I found these eyeliners, I couldn't help myself from buying the colorful ones.


These are labeled "CoverGirl Queen Vivid Impact Eyeliner Pencils." There were six colors - these four plus a matte black and matte brown (which I found uninspiring/common and therefore did not purchase). I tend to not have super high expectations of CoverGirl because I feel like they aren't keeping up with the times well - while other drugstore brands like Maybelline, NYX, Revlon, and Wet 'n' Wild are putting out high-quality and on-trend products, CoverGirl has been falling behind - but the few Queen line products I've tried have pleasantly surprised me so far, so perhaps Queen is where they're investing their time and money these days.

As an aside, the Queen line is primarily marketed toward women of color and therefore is generally only found in areas with higher populations of darker-skinned women. I am quite fair myself, but from what I can tell, the Queen line appears to offer the best selection of face products for women of darker skin tones available in drugstores today. I believe Iman also offers a similarly broad shade range on the darker spectrum, but in my experience, Iman is harder to find in stores than CoverGirl Queen products.

Anyway! Back to the eyeliners. In short, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality for the most part. I would only rate these four colors a 3 or 4 (out of 5) in terms of pigmentation - some of them require a few swipes for full color coverage, but are buildable - but the lasting power is excellent and on par with plenty of more expensive versions on the market, such as my favorites, Urban Decay's 24/7 line. With that said, I think I have similar shades to each of these colors in my stash already from other brands that I prefer (not for any particular reason aside from my own somewhat random biases), so I may not keep all four colors. If you don't already own similar colors, however, these shades are relatively unique to other drugstore eyeliners on the market of comparable quality so they may be worth checking out!

Here are some swatches for you, with comparisons to those other options. Both sets are indoors with an Ottlite first, followed by outdoors:



Left to right: MAC Sweet Sage Fluidline (discontinued), CoverGirl Queen Gilt Vivid Impact pencil (currently available), Urban Decay Stash 24/7 pencil (currently available), MAC New Weed Fluidline (discontinued), MAC Siahi Fluidline (discontinued), GoverGirl Queen Jade Vivid Impact pencil (currently available), L'Oreal Emerald Extra Intense pencil (discontinued), MAC Undercurrent Pearlglide pencil (discontinued).



Left to right: Laura Mercier Twilight Caviar Stick (currently available but only in a Nordstrom-exclusive set), CoverGirl Queen Amethyst Vivid Impact pencil (currently available), Stila Amethyst Smudge Pot (discontinued), Chanel Illusiore Illusion d'Ombre cream shadow (currently available), Essence Berlin Rocks gel liner (discontinued, I think), Benefit Stiletto Creaseless Cream shadow (currently available), CoverGirl Queen Cabernet Vivid Impact pencil (currently available), Stila Pomegranate Smudge Pot (discontinued).

As a side note: years ago in a previous review, I lambasted Stila Pomegranate Smudge Pot. I think I need to update that review, as I have since become more adventurous and begun to like wearing red, and now I sort of like it. :)

ANYWAY. Whew, I am off on all kinds of tangents today - sorry about that. What do you think? Are you going to be hunting down these colors? If you happen to have been jonesing for the Twilight Caviar Stick but didn't want to buy the $80 set, CoverGirl Amethyst is a not-half-bad alternative, for sure - while not exact, it is undoubtedly the closest dupe to Twilight I have. CoverGirl Cabernet is the reddest PENCIL eyeliner I've found so far anywhere; Gilt is the loveliest olive color I've found so far in the drugstore; and of the teals I compared above, Jade is the only one readily available, so if you love those types of colors but don't already have one of the others it's definitely worth a look.

OK I'M DONE NOW! :) Thank you, if you got this far!

Disclaimer: I purchased the product(s) featured in this review myself.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I just love the color payoffs! really pretty. You have given me idea which eye liners to buy next. Thanks!
    I will LOVE it if you take a look at my blog..it will mean the world to me! :)
    http://sifascorner.blogspot.com/
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amethyst is particularly lovely but they all look smooth and quite complex! Go CG!

    On this side of the pond, Sleek have a few vivid reds to choose from if you would like to have a browse ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really quite pretty. Thanks for the great swatches too! I agree with you about Cover Girl products, but I'm glad to see they have a few decent products.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!