Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Goody Quikstyle Paddle Brush

I know I don't normally review hair stuff, but this product caught my eye in the drugstore and I had to try it - is it a gimmick, or does it actually work?


The Goody Quikstyle hairbrush is a large paddle hairbrush with little blue microfiber cloth... things (tiny fingers! Yes, that's definitely what they are!) in between the plastic bristles. The microfiber fingers are meant to stroke your hair (ok, I'm having fun with this) and suck out water, eliminating 30% of the moisture in your hair and thereby cutting down on drying time. So... does it WORK?

I tried this out a few times and my answer is: sort of. While I think it does what it claims to do, I don't think it will work for everyone. The same things that work in its favor also make it frustrating for me to use. My hair is fine (think thin, silky strands) but thick (a big ponytail). The microfiber fingers obstruct your hair from reaching the bottom half of each plastic bristle, limiting the depth of hair that the brush can access. So, while they do remove water from the hairs they can touch, they can't touch all of my hair that I'm trying to pull the brush through at once. If I want to decrease water evenly all over my head, I have to brush my hair from the top, from the bottom, from the sides, and with some of it parted and held up away from my head, otherwise I end up with sections of my hair the little fingers never reach. However, if I'm patient enough to do this, it really does cut down on the drying time!

The other thing that's annoying to me is how bulky this brush is. Seriously, it's HUGE. Check it out from the side:


There's a reason for this - the chamber under the bristles/fingers is hollow and has vents to allow the passage of plenty of air so the fingers can dry quickly and thoroughly. It works... it's just obnoxiously bulky.

The other thing that bothers me about this brush is that I envision it being difficult to clean. I do like to use some leave-in conditioner/serum type products in my hair, which work best when applied to still-wet hair, but I wouldn't want to load my hair up with product and then use this brush for fear that the fingers would get all gunked up with product, and I can't even imagine how I'd get it out. The packaging says you can just shampoo it, but does anyone want to tell me how exactly I'd DO that?

So anyway. I'm not 100% sure I even want to keep this - I may return it to the drugstore and get my $15 back. I think it works, but I'm not convinced it works any better than just towel-drying with a microfiber towel would. I think if you like the idea of a hairbrush that helps dry your hair AND you have normal to thin hair, this would work better for you than it did for me.

For what it's worth, although it doesn't do anything to speed up drying time, here is a hairbrush I recommend (I think - mine is a few years old and has a different colored handle, but I think this is the same brush, just slightly repackaged). It's meant to be comparable to a Mason Pearson hairbrush. I've never owned one of those, but I do think it works wonderfully and it's held up great for years. Sonia Kashuk also makes a similar hairbrush (see that one here) - my sister uses that one and says it works fine for her, but I personally prefer the Sephora version myself.

Disclaimer: I purchased the product(s) featured in this post myself. (Except my sister's hairbrush. I'm pretty sure she bought that one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!