Saturday, August 25, 2012

FOTD: SMASH Fools Gold, Disoriented, and Metallic White

I promised at least a couple of FOTDs using the SMASH mineral eyeshadows reviewed in my last post here, and here is my first look!

In all honesty, I was really excited with (and relieved by) how well these applied. I don't have extensive experience with loose mineral eyeshadows - pretty much the only ones I can remember trying are Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals, Alima, and Fyrinnae - and I experienced major fallout issues with many of the shades from many of those brands, even when I pressed them and used them in their pressed forms, which makes using them highly frustrating for me. Admittedly, today's experiment was the first time I've tried using them with a brush dampened by MAC Fix+, so maybe that was the key, but in any case, I was thrilled with how smoothly, easily, and evenly these applied. I will definitely be using at least Fools Gold again in the future!

So, here are the pictures! Sorry if they're a little bit blurry; this was in early-morning light before I left for work, and I'm still getting used to figuring out how to get the best pictures in different lighting situations with my new(ish) camera. I promise it wasn't some tricky photo-blur effect though, because I wouldn't know how to do one of those if I wanted to!



Don't ask me why my hair looks totally mousy and limp, I'm pretty sure it didn't actually look like that in real life... I hope not, anyway... maybe I need to go get highlights or something?!

Here are the eye close-ups:



And here is everything I used for this look:

NARS eyeshadow primer all over the lid/up to brows
Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy on the lid/crease area (layered over the NARS primer) - I find this is a MUST-HAVE for loose eyeshadows to minimize fallout and maximize vibrancy
Anastasia Ash Blonde Brow Powder Duo on brows
SMASH Fools Gold on lid and along lower lash line (applied with an EcoTools flat synthetic eyeshadow brush dampened using MAC Fix+), Disoriented in crease, and Metallic White on inner corner (both applied using a MAC 217 brush, also dampened with Fix+)
MAC Blanc Type as brow highlight
MAC Blacktrack eyeliner (applied with a MAC 209 brush - my FAVORITE for doing regular/winged liner!)
CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof mascara
Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation #51
Lancome Effacernes in Light Buff under eyes
ELF HD powder
Tarte Exposed Amazonian Clay blush
NARS Albatross highlighter
Guerlain Bal de Mai Rouge Automatique lipstick, blotted

The clean edges of the look were thanks to my using surgical tape on the outer corners of my eyes, an idea I got from the lovely Karima of Shameless Fripperies! It tugged my skin a little coming off though - in the future I'll stick it to the back of my hand and then peel it off first before applying it to my eye area to remove some of the stickiness.

So, what do you all think? I welcome constructive criticism :) For those of you who saw my post swatching all the SMASH mineral eyeshadows, what combination(s) would you like to see next? Thanks!

Disclaimer: I purchased the product(s) featured in this post myself except for the SMASH mineral eyeshadows, which were sent to me for consideration. All opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. Your eyes are so beautiful! And that lip color looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how those shades look on you!!! I think I need to start trying loose pigments. Have a nice day!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's definitely a learning curve to applying them, but I know you have the skills to do it, Anne! :)

      Delete
  3. GORGEOUS. You did an amazing job applying the colors, and they really look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't love the combination of Disoriented and Fools Gold as much as I thought I would on the eyes, though I do love both colors individually. Will have to try again with different color combinations :)

      Delete

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!