Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Neutrogena MoistureShine Lipsticks

I have a confession to make: prior to this week, I think I've been prejudiced toward Neutrogena's makeup. Don't ask me why, because I love a lot of their skincare products and have historically had pretty good luck with a few of their foundations... and I love their eye makeup remover (liquid and in the form of wipes)... but I have always just sort of shrugged at the eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick, lip gloss, etc. I couldn't help but notice these new MoistureShine lipsticks, though, after seeing display after display in Every. Single. Drugstore. My intrigue was further piqued when I looked them up and learned that even though there are only 12 shades on this common display, there are 20 total - those other eight lonely shades are not as well-loved by Neutrogena, I suppose. I did find and swatch them, though, which I think should prove pretty well that they exist (but then again, after the bizarre situation with the Cherry and Pomegranate Estee Lauder Gloss Sticks, who knows? =p).

What makes this a "confession" is the part where I admit that I was wrong - I shouldn't have discounted Neutrogena's cosmetics so easily. These are really fabulous lipsticks (and they're SPF 20!). I should add, however, that most are not for the faint of heart or those who hate lipliners (check out the Cherry Twist LOTD picture to see why I say this) - almost every single one of these colors, especially the brightest and darkest colors, makes the cut for my "the most pigmented lipsticks I've ever seen" list. The only exceptions: Caramel Kiss, Peach-a-Boo, and (unsurprisingly) Sheer Luck are slightly more sheer than the other colors. Maybe Angel's Blush and Just Whisper as well, but I might just be leaning in that direction because they're lighter colors.

In any case: these are not the most moisturizing lipsticks I've ever worn, but they're not drying either. They do have a scent, but it's not that noticeable in my opinion, and it does fade. It's also sort of inconsistent; call me crazy, but I swear the Pomegranate one smells like... well... pomegranate. But, you know, in a lipstick-y sort of way. The only real criticism I have for these is that a few of them don't stay put very well on the inner part of my lower lip (you can see this in the Cherry Twist, Pomegranate, and Rum Raisin LOTDs). However, I think that may have been some kind of fluke that was more attributable to my lips than the shades, because I tried Rum Raisin on again tonight and did not have that problem with it this time. Anyway - these are available for $9-10 each at most drugstores. (Or, if you live in my area, ALL of them.)

I usually try to swatch in the best possible lighting so I don't have to show flash pics, non-flash pics, etc., but for some reason, the natural light pictures of these don't show the finish of the lipsticks very accurately, so I took pictures indoors as well and have included those. So, to clarify: the natural light pictures (the first two) are true-to-color; the flash pictures (the next two) are not very true-to-color but do accurately depict the finish and texture of these lipsticks. Hopefully the LOTD pictures will also help :) Sorry for the blurry ones; figured they were good enough that it was worth keeping them in the set, but I know they're not perfect.

Oh, and for anyone who's wondering, the 12 shades that are on the displays everywhere are the following: Angel's Blush, Anything Rose, Berry Burst, Coral Dream, Electric Currant, Mauve On, Pinch of Cinn, Playful Plum, Plum Paradise, Rum Raisin, Sheer Luck, and Think Pink. The more hard-to-find colors are Caramel Kiss, Cherry Twist, Just Whisper, Nude Blush, Peach-a-Boo, Pomegranate, Poppy Red, and Tickled Pink.

I do apologize for the somewhat scatterbrained nature of this post; I need to do something that doesn't involve writing for a little while, I think :) In any case, thanks for reading, and as always, comments and feedback are welcome!


MoistureShine Lipstick: Angel's Blush, Anything Rose, Berry Burst, Caramel Kiss, Cherry Twist, Coral Dream, Electric Currant, Just Whisper, Mauve On, Nude Blush, Peach-a-Boo, Pinch of Cinn, Playful Plum, Plum Paradise, Pomegranate, Poppy Red, Rum Raisin, Sheer Luck, Think Pink, Tickled Pink.

5 comments:

  1. Holy lemming!
    I am exactly the same way when it comes to Neutrogena.. and I don't really know why!
    You can pull off a lot of these shades. Not so sure about me though :(
    I will definitely buy a few of these.. I am liking 5 of them but I have to see how I like them in general before I splurge lol.

    ~Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you and I have pretty similar skintones so when you swatch it's practically like seeing it on myself. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too share your unwarranted aversion to Neutrogena cosmetics. Your post has me considering this line now. I will certainly keep an eye out for sales and pick up a couple of these beauties next time they are BOGO. Thanks again for a very thorough review and fantastic pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I awarded you the KREATIV AWARD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I just found your blog and it's amazing! I wish I had seen it before I bought some of these; I'm surprised at how matte pomegranate and anything rose are, but love pinch o peach and sheer luck; think I might have to pick up angel's blush.

    I do have a question - how DO you swatch all these? Do you go and buy them all up and then trade them away later? That could end up being quite the outlay of money just for the greater good of cosmetiholics everywhere (for which we thank you!)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!