Saturday, February 14, 2009

Jane Aguaceuticals Aguamousse Eye Shadows

Wow - well, I was going to publish some other posts on more popular products before I got to these, but now that I've tried them, I don't want to hold off at all because I feel it's important to pass on this information.

As cream/mousse shadows go, these are quite good if your skin can tolerate them. One woman mentioned on MakeupAlley that she'd had one on for ten hours without primer and experienced no creasing or fading, and I did notice that once they dried and set on my arm (after about a minute or so), they didn't smear or transfer at all. I was impressed by what I saw, and got all excited to try one or two on for an EOTD... but once I did, it was a disaster.

Jane's advertising claims that these eyeshadows have a "cooling" effect on the skin. Normally, this is a good thing - it makes me think of an tea tree oil-aloe gel my aunt used to put on me whenever I got sunburns as a kid - so, in my eyes, this makes for some pretty misleading advertising. In this case, the cooling agents in question are comfrey and lemon balm leaf extracts, which are both unregulated ingredients known to be potential skin irritants above certain concentration levels. (Of course, we have no way of knowing what their concentrations are in these shadows; I called Jane's customer service and left a voicemail, but have not heard back yet.)

The point is, these HURT my eyes. About a second after I started to apply one (Still Horizon) to my eyelid, my lid started to burn. I told myself that it was probably just the "cooling agent" and it would go away before long, so I waited. I finally gave up and removed it after about two minutes, by which point my eyes were watering so much I had tears streaming down my face. The skin on my eyelid felt painfully sensitive, but I was determined to have an EOTD for this blog post, so I thought maybe I'd have better luck with another color, and tried Barracuda on for size. Oh no, no, no - this was even worse - this time, I left it on for maybe 30 seconds before I was reaching for my eye makeup remover. Once I got it off, I could see that my eyelid was slightly swollen, even more pink than before, and blotchy in a couple of places, like I'd caused a blood vessel to burst or something. That was several hours ago, and I haven't put anything on my lid since then; it still stings.

I posted about this on the Makeup Board on MakeupAlley and received responses from several users indicating that I was not the first to have had a reaction to these shadows, so buyer beware. I wish I could encourage you to try these on a "safe" area like your arm before you try applying them to your lids to see if they bother you, but I experienced no sensitivity when I swatched them on my arm. They do feel mildly itchy when applied to the inside of my elbows, so perhaps if you tried that first, you'd better be able to tell. Just please be cautious with these, if you really want to give them a try.

For your reference, I took a picture of my eye after I removed the eyeshadow for the second time. The lighting wasn't perfect, but you should be able to see that my lid area is pink and moderately puffy, as well as the spots that look like burst blood vessels (but if not, please take my word for it)... thanks for reading.


Aguaceuticals Aguamousse Eye Shadow: Barracuda, Beachcomber, Sandstone, Seashell, Silver Dollar, Still Horizon, Washed Ashore

11 comments:

  1. My goodness...that looks incredibly painful. :( Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hope your eyelids feel better soon! That's such a pity since Sandstone and Seashell look so gorgeous too... but I have pretty sensitive skin and eyes as it is, so I'll have to pass on this one. =/ Thanks for the warning - I just feel so bad your eyes had to take the hit for it. ;___;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same reaction.. too bad because I really liked the two colors I picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame that this is happening to people, and it makes me wonder how these are on the market.. how are they testing these products before they release them?

    I was unaware that comfrey and lemon balm leaf extracts are used as cooling agents, and that they are unregulated and irritating.
    Thank you for educating me! And saving me from having the same experience.. which I am sure would have happened due to my sensitivities.

    I hope that the company returns your phone call because I am interested in what their response would be. Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comments, everyone - my eye is doing much better now! Hopefully the company will return my call tomorrow; I'll let you all know what happens with that situation. And Assorted Nuts (love your username, by the way!), I'm so sorry to hear the same thing happened to you! I've received similar responses from others, too... it sounds like Jane's product testing teams could use some improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kristina,

    Allow me to apologize, on behalf of Reborn Beauty, Marketers of Jane, for your negative reaction and for the delay to address this issue.

    I would like to discuss this in greater detail and compensate you for the loss of your purchase. Please comment with your email to discuss the irritation you have received with the Jane AguaCeutical AguaMousse. I am an employee of Jane who blogs and communicates via the internet. I am extremely sorry for the reaction you had with our product and would like to discuss in greater details.

    I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi hlcoppola,

    Thank you for your reply. I did attempt to contact Jane via phone and email after this happened, but received no response; in any case, I'm happy that you're trying to get in touch with me now! You can contact me at the email address posted in the sidebar, sasquatchswatch (at) gmail (dot) com.

    Thank you!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristina,

    Please check your email. Let's chat that way.

    Look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristina - I am experiencing similar reactions, although for some reason I wasn't thinking it could actually hurt me - I would get redness, but only when I wouldn't put concealer underneath the product and I have been dumb enough to keep wearing it for a few months - thinking nothing of the fact that the burning/tingling could actually be hurting my eye. I googled this product to see if anyone else had experienced anything or if it was maybe from something other than the shadow, and found your blog. How do I get in touch with them? Do you have the email address you used to I can write to them as well?

    The extra bad thing is that I went to the eye doc a couple weeks ago and he found what looked like little blisters in my left eye - I wonder if this could be caused from prolonged use of this shadow?! I am super worried now!

    Thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Beckie - I'm going to respond to you via email... thanks!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!