Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stila's Pomegranate Smudge Pot

As a HUGE fan of the Stila Smudge Pots (Bronze is one of my all-time favorite eyeliners, and the only one I've ever used up and had to repurchase), I have been looking forward to this new product since I read about it months ago, and then even more desperately since I saw a picture of it on Temptalia's blog a few weeks ago. Now that I have the actual product in front of me, I am completely crushed. I think those promotional photos must be either seriously Photoshopped or of a different product entirely (maybe Stila decided to change the color after they put out the pics?). But, I'll let you judge for yourself...

From Temptalia's blog:


(gorgeous, right?)

From my camera - sorry for the blemish; I forgot to take the pictures before doing the swatches... I'm including a picture of it next to my cellphone, a red LG EnV2, for the sake of color comparison; my phone and the Smudge Pot are almost the same color. Here you go:


Here is a picture of it compared to my other purple cream gel liners (since it's supposed to be purple-y):


I will say in the favor of this poor little Smudge Pot that it does have the same incredibly smooth, blendable texture and finish that I love so much about all of the Smudge Pots. The shimmer ones all have the perfect amount of shimmer and the matte ones are gorgeously rich in color. All are very easy to work with in every capacity; I've used them as liners, cream shadows, or bases under other shadows with beautiful results (though I wouldn't use them without a "real" base like UDPP underneath, or they may crease on oily lids). So this little creature does at least have that going for it.

But.


The color of the Pomegranate Smudge Pot is, in my opinion, atrocious, and certainly nothing like what I expected. Rather than a rich, deep purple, it's a bright, metallic red; it does have hints of burgundy and maroon, but not enough to redeem itself. Used as a liner or a cream shadow, it makes my blue eyes look allergic, inflamed, and generally unappealing. And it's going straight back to Sephora.

Other information: Stila Smudge Pots are available in the following matte colors: Black, Brown, and Grey; and in the following shimmery colors: Bronze, Cobalt, Jade, and Pomegranate. All are available at Sephora for $18 each, with the exception of Pomegranate, which is only available on Sephora's website and retails for $20. Many Ulta locations also still have the Holiday Trio in stock, which costs $30 and contains three mini Smudge Pots in Black, Bronze, and Grey, as well as a so-so mini liner brush.

"Purple" eyeliner: Jane Be Pure Mineral Gel Eyeliner in Wine, L'Oreal H.I.P. Color Truth Cream Eyeliner in Eggplant, Stila Smudge Pot in Pomegranate, Wet 'n' Wild MegaEyes Creme Eyeliner in Eggplant

5 comments:

  1. That is such an amazing difference and such a disappointment! I love purple liners and thought I'd have another one to add to my collection, but that's obviously not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is not at all what I expected! I am so glad you posted this because I was curious to see what it looked like in real life. In that original picture it looks beautiful--what a disappointment that it's red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I don't think that it would be Stila's fault since they generally name their smudge pot true to the color...(like jade is green, bronze is bronze...)and from the sephora swatches, it does look burgundy to me...

    A while back, Stila actually had a purple limited edition (or maybe Asia exclusive?) smudge pot that was called Amythyst...I don't think they would re-promote the same liner but name it pomegranate instead...

    But I think it's a cool color anyway...I just don't know how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I look at the Pomegranate Smudge Pot the more I like it. I think it would bring out green eyes very well.

    I can understand the disappointment though, that picture is so different from the actual product. They didn't accidentaly put a pic of discontinued Plum did they? It looks more like a Plum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to Stila's website, the Pomegranate does look red though (compared to the one you said was on Temptalia's blog : http://www.stilacosmetics.com/images/products/vk0117_product_xl.jpg

    Sorry you felt disappointed- I came across your blog while trying to look for looks utilizing that color so I can get an idea of whether to purchase it or not. Your swatches helped. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome, but if you are here to spam your link, your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful. Thanks!